Boo-tiful Halloween Cake

filed under: Miscellaneous on October 1, 2010
  • Pin
  • I have been thinking about this particular cake for about a month now, but just never felt good enough to make it. Well, I am feeling better and better everyday, and I suddenly had the urge to tackle this cake!

Ahhh! Is it scary or what?

I kid.

I have made a cake similarto this before, but I really wanted to attempt ganache again. I wanted to see if I could make it shiney and beautiful like my culinary hero Ina Garten.

I did. But then I used waaaaaayyyyyy to much and it got allgloppy.

Ganache

Ingredients

This recipe has no ingredients

Instructions

This recipe has no instructions

But now for the fun part.

Or, the “boo” tiful part.

I tried a brand new recipe for a sweet marshmallow buttercream to make some whimsy little ghosts on my cake.

Frosting

Ingredients

This recipe has no ingredients

Instructions

This recipe has no instructions

I used a bit of my glaze icing and added some scary expressions to the ghosts.

Ok, ok, so they arent scary. My kids even laughed at me.

But I sorta liked them.

The super scary and halloween inspired inside is red velvet.

I gotta tell ya, I was on the HUNT for a good red velvet. I didnt want one the burned your eyes out it was so red, (we all know I can make those) I just wanted one that would taste good.

What I discovered was that a good red velvet cake needed to have a few key ingredients to be yummy. Cocoa, buttermilk, and vinegar. If you have some variation of these ingredients, you will have a decent tasting cake!

I used a version of this one on Food Network.

Red Velvet Cake

Ingredients

This recipe has no ingredients

Instructions

This recipe has no instructions

And there you have it! A boo-tiful and fun cake that is sure to be the hit of any Halloween celebration!

• Pin

Comments

• Audrey says:

Hello! I wanna make this for a Halloween party this saturday and just wanna check – the recipe for the buttercream frosting is enough to frost the entire cake and make the ghosts as well? ๐Ÿ˜€ Kudos on how awesome it looks btw!!!

• Jess says:

Wow! The cake looks amazing!
    The link to the marshmallow buttercream leads me to the frosting recipe by Martha Stewart. Is this correct?

• Alexis says:

I am such a huge fan of your art (your baking is TRULY art!). This is my second year making this “boo” cake, and I can’t wait to bring it in for my colleagues tomorrow! It’s so SPOOOOKY!
    Thanks for sharing all your amazing recipes!

• Erin says:

This is so cute! Love it! I much prefer cute ghosts over scary ghosts! ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Meriem says:

Thank you for the great tips et the wonderful recipe.

In the picture the ganache is dripping so gracefully it s almost artistic….sometimes when I poor it I get large non graceful drops that are not really nice to look at.

do you have a tip ? or an idea on how to control it ?

Thanks

• Sonia - simple treats says:

Your creations inspire me more. Thank you for sharing them….

• Cate says:

Hi there – I’ve been reading your blog for a while, but it’s my first time commenting. I want to bake this cake for my friend’s birthday, but was thinking of baking it in a 7×11 or 13×9 pan. Have you tried baking this recipe in a pan of either size? What would you recommend for a baking time?

Thanks!

• Amanda says:

I think eiher pan would be fine… maybe start checking the cake 5-10 minutes before the recommended baking time. It will take a litle bit less time to cook fully when in a larger pan, as I am sure you know! ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for reading and God bless!

• Cate says:

Thank you!

• Lydian DeVere Yard says:

Are the ghosts just piped frosting? And I’m assuming the marshmallow buttercream is the frosting on the cake. I really want to make this for my daughter’s birthday. Should the cake be partially frozen before frosting? Any simple syrup poured on? I’d love to see instructions on how to assemble this cake!

• Rose says:

This cake looks perfect for my daughter’s Halloween carnival cake walk. I may try to make the ghosts out of meringue, though. Once baked, meringue holds its shape quite well, and should be more stable for travel, I would think.

• Kiran @ KiranTarun.com says:

LOVE it!! Great idea with the ghosts. Looks too cute. Never thought I’d ever say ghosts are cute ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Kiran @ KiranTarun.com says:

And oh, pinned this for sure!!

• Francine says:

It us simply very, very beautiful! Congrats, you have such nice ideas….

• Karen Braithwaite says:

Your cake is fantastic, but how did you make your ghosts? Did you pipe them? I keep looking at them and can’t decide. Could you please let me know, as I really want to make them for my sons 4th birthday. Thank you.

• yoyo says:

what a nice cake, i wonder if the ghost icing set firm or soft? will it melt easily ?
    can u teach me anything frosting that set firm after drying like icing, i try royal icing but my kids dont like it, and frosting with butter, any simple and easy recipe that i can mix with marshmallow, pipe with piping bag to create shape and set firm also like marshmallow texture. or anything that u could recommend me to try, please oh i teach me, oh i have too many questions, if u can give me some idea it would be great, i want to prepare it for my son’s bday.

• yoyo says:

hi i wonder if any marshmallow frosting u can recommend me to try, i’ve been looking for frosting that set firm and can be shaped with piping bag, texture like marshmallow, but not royal icing, i want to make it on the ice cream cone presenting it in my son’s bday, please do teach me, your cake is super cute.

• rhonda says:

Beautiful! Such a unique and creative idea.