Christmas M&M Cookies are cookies that are loaded with red and green colored M&M’s to satisfy your sweet tooth and get you in the holiday spirit! Try my Old Fashioned Monster Cookies recipe for another cookie full of candy-covered chocolate.
Christmas M&M Cookies
The holiday season is all about treats, especially cookies! When any recipe can be made with Christmas-colored candies or sprinkles, it just puts me more in the holiday spirit. This cookie starts with the perfect dough and ends with plenty of red and green M&M’s.
Room Temperature Ingredients: Using room temperature ingredients (especially butter and eggs) will help you get the best results when baking these cookies. Butter is at room temperature at 65°F. Don’t put it in the microwave to soften it; simply cut it up into small pieces and let it sit out if you forgot to take it out of the refrigerator.
Packed Brown Sugar: There is a reason to pack brown sugar. Packing the sugar into the measuring cup gets rid of any air pockets.
Adding M&M’s: When adding solid ingredients (like these candy-coated chocolates), I prefer to stir them in by hand. If you are using your mixer, mix them in on low for only about 5 seconds, or until just combined.
How to Store Christmas M&M Cookies
Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. Baked cookies can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. Be sure to use a freezer-safe container and label and date your cookies. To freeze the dough, scoop the batter onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Place the dough balls in the freezer for 1-2 hours. After the dough is completely frozen, store them in a freezer-safe zipped bag until ready to bake. To bake from frozen, simply add a couple of minutes to the baking time.
Christmas M&M Cookies
- 3 cups (375 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks / 227g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1½ cups (300 g) light brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1¾ cups M&M's Holiday milk chocolate candy
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment (or a handheld mixer), beat the butter on medium-high speed until smooth (about a minute).
- Add both sugars and cream on medium-high speed until smooth (about 2 minutes).
- Add the eggs and vanilla, beating until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat ingredients together again, if necessary.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix on low until combined.
- With the mixer still on low (or by hand), add the M&M's and mix until incorporated. (If using an electric mixer, only mix for a few seconds.)
- Cover the bowl and let the dough chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, up to overnight.
- When ready, remove the dough from the refrigerator and allow it to come to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Drop spoonfuls (2-3 tablespoons) of dough onto baking sheets about 2 inches apart. (If possible, measure the batter so the cookies are all the same size for best results when baking.)
- Bake for 12 minutes. The cookies are done when the sides are lightly browned and the centers still look soft.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.