Onion Bacon Jam is not the traditional flavor of preserves you may be used to, but it is definitely worth a try! It’s a savory and unique preserve that will elevate your taste buds. With a definite onion flavor supported by the saltiness of the bacon, Onion Bacon Jam is great on crackers with cheese or even mixed in ground beef for your next meatloaf recipe!
Ingredients & Substitutions
Bacon: The bacon can be broken up into pieces before or after being cooked. Do not make it ahead of time, since you will use some of the bacon grease to cook the onions and shallots. You could also use turkey bacon if preferred.
Onion: Look for one large yellow onion or about 3 small onions. You will need about 3 cups of chopped onion for the recipe.
Shallots: Shallots are a type of onion that are known for their sweeter, milder taste and delicate flavor. They are smaller in size compared to regular onions and have a long, narrow shape.
Sauce: The brown sugar, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, and chili powder give you a sweet and spicy sauce.
How to Use Onion Bacon Jam
If you are looking for ways to use up your Onion Bacon Jam before it goes bad, there are many delicious options to consider:
- Use a dollop on a cracker with some cream cheese.
- Spread it on your grilled cheese sandwich before you grill it.
- Substitute Onion Bacon Jam for the bacon on your BLTs.
- Add it to your scrambled eggs.
- Use it as a topping for a hamburger or cheeseburger (my favorite).
- Mix it in with your macaroni and cheese.
- Top your favorite roasted vegetables.
These suggestions will help you fall in love with this jam. Let me know if you found other flavorful ways to use Onion Bacon Jam!
How to Store Onion Bacon Jam
Onion Bacon Jam is a delicious and popular condiment that can be used in a variety of dishes. However, it should not be stored at room temperature as it can spoil quickly. The best way to store it is in the refrigerator or freezer. When stored in the refrigerator, it will last for 2-4 weeks, while freezer storage will give it a longer shelf life. Since Onion Bacon Jam cannot be safely canned, it is important to consume it within 2-4 weeks when stored in the refrigerator or freeze it for longer storage. When freezing, be sure to use straight-sided mason jars (or glass jars) and leave about an inch of space at the top to allow for expansion.
Onion Bacon Jam
- 1 pound bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large (or 3 small) yellow onion, finely chopped into ¼-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- 2 large (or 6 small) shallots, diced (about 1 ½ cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup (100 g) brown sugar
- ¼ cup (85 g) maple syrup
- ⅓ cup (79 g) apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, optional, but highly recommended
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook bacon until crispy. While the bacon is cooking, line a plate with a paper towel.
- Place the cooked bacon onto the lined plate. Set aside.
- Leave about 4 tablespoons of bacon grease in the pan, carefully removing the rest.
- To the pan, add the onion and diced shallots. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook until the onions are caramelized, 15-20 minutes, stirring often.
- Mix in the garlic, brown sugar, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, chili powder, and pieces of cooked bacon.
- Simmer for 7-10 minutes, or until the mixture has thickened. It should be about the consistency of a jam.
- Serve warm or cold, but you may want to warm slightly if it has been refrigerated.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.
It turned out perfect just as the recipe was!
No need to add or take away.
I used it on my charcuterie board. What a hit!
I’ve made this recipe multiple times, it’s delicious! I like to serve it as a dip with crackers over a layer of goat cheese. It is divine!
Please send to Recipe to Onion Bacon Jam .about Email send to Recipe for copy , Onion Bacon Jam . And I’m Deaf ? 🥰❤️🤟. Nice meet you 🥰
I try it and it’s amazing 🤩 in my burger 🍔 it was delicious 🤤 next thing I’m gonna do with this tasty mixture is making a charcuterie board 😁 thanks for this recipe!
How long will it last in refrigerator?
Amazing recipe my is going to love it
This looks amazing how long can it be stored?
HI Kathy! It’s in the post. 🙂
Just a suggestion for people that like a hot a spicy jam. Chop up a fresh habanero and cook it with the onions. It definitely adds some heat to this bacon jam! Yummy!!!
Can this be made without the maple syrup ??
This was amazing! So full of flavor and delicious on so many things.
Made this today and was a massive hit! Having a girls day on Monday with sister and mom. Everyone’s making snacks or sweets and we exchange. Can’t wait to share this with their family’s! Thanks for another great recipe