Reese’s Peanut Butter Chocolate Ooey Gooey Bars are a dream dessert for all you chocolate-peanut butter lovers out there. The chocolate cake bottom and cream cheese layer stay true to the ooey gooey cake recipes I have, and with the added peanut butter and Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups nestled in there, it will be your new favorite sweet treat! For another chocolate-peanut butter delight, try my Chocolate Peanut Butter Ooey Gooey Cake!
Ingredients & Substitutions
Cake Mix: Look for a box of chocolate fudge cake mix. Or, make your own mix by stirring together all the dry ingredients in my Homemade Chocolate Cake Mix.
Peanut Butter Cups: You will need a total of about 40 miniature Reese’s peanut butter cups. You will chop some up for the filling and melt some more with peanut butter for the topping. If using regular-sized cups, it generally takes 2-3 minis to equal one regular-sized cup. You might also want to have a few extras chopped up for garnish.
Peanut Butter: I recommend using creamy peanut butter in the topping. However, you could use crunchy if that is what you have on hand.
Whipped Topping: To top off this rich and decadent dessert, don’t forget about the whipped topping! You can use store-bought or make your own.
Room Temperature Ingredients: Room-temperature ingredients are a good idea for the best results. Set your cream cheese out a few hours before you plan on making these amazing bars.
How to Store Reese’s Peanut Butter Ooey Gooey Chocolate Bars
To store Reese’s Peanut Butter Ooey Gooey Chocolate Bars, cover them and keep them refrigerated. They will last up to a week.
Can I Freeze Ooey Gooey Bars?
Yes! First, let the bars cool completely. Next, place the bars onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and transfer to the freezer until solid (a few hours). Once solid, store the bars in a freezer-safe container or bag. They will last up to a month or two. When ready to enjoy, let them thaw in the refrigerator.
Reese’s Peanut Butter Chocolate Ooey Gooey Bars
- 1 box (15.25 ounces) chocolate fudge cake mix
- ½ cup (1 stick / 113 g) butter, melted
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 ¼ cups (about 25) miniature Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9×13-inch baking dish with parchment paper or spray with a non-stick spray. You could also prepare the pan with homemade pan release (GOOP).*
- In a large bowl, add the cake mix, melted butter, and egg. Mix until well combined. Press the mixture into the prepared baking pan. (The mixture will be thick)
- Sprinkle the chopped Reese's Peanut Butter Cups over the cake mix mixture.
- In a separate bowl, combine the peanut butter and miniature Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. Melt in the microwave in 20-second intervals, stir until creamy.
- Add in the cream cheese. Using an electric mixer, beat for 2-3 minutes until creamy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well.
- Add melted butter and beat until combined.
- Add in the confectioners' sugar and mix until incorporated.
- Pour the peanut butter mixture over the chopped Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and bake for 35-40 minutes. Do not overbake; the center will be slightly jiggly, but it will be done.
- Remove the bars from the oven. Let the bars cool completely before refrigerating for about 2 hours. After the bars are chilled, cut into squares and enjoy! Note: Bars will still be gooey after chilling.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.