Strawberry Shortcake Trifle is a layered dessert made with fresh strawberries, creamy cheesecake filling, and angel food cake. Try my Strawberry Shortcake Recipe for a more traditional shortcake.
Strawberry Shortcake Trifle
A traditional trifle is an English dessert that is layered with some sort of cake, custard, fruit, and whipped cream. This strawberry shortcake trifle certainly fits that description. It is a perfect summer treat. And, you can even make your own homemade angel food cake if you have the time. Try my Sheet Pan Strawberry Shortcake recipe for another dessert piled high with all the flavors of strawberry shortcake.
Strawberry Shortcake Trifle Ingredients
Strawberries: I used fresh strawberries in this recipe, but you could get by with frozen strawberries that have thawed. If using fresh strawberries, be sure to wash and hull them. Instead of simply cutting off the tops straight across, insert a sharp knife at an angle and rotate the strawberry in a circle until the stem pulls out. Then, cut them into fourths.
Preserves: Strawberry preserves have pieces of strawberries in them, as opposed to jam or jelly, which would be more syrupy.
Sweetened Condensed Milk: Sweetened condensed milk is important in this sweet treat. Do not use evaporated milk for this recipe. And, just like using only half the cream cheese, you will only need half the can (7 ounces). Yes, that is kind of a pain, but after testing the recipe using the full amounts, it was just too much of the cream cheese mixture.
Whipped Cream: One 8-ounce tub of cool whip is what you will need in this recipe to fold into the cream cheese mixture. You could also make your own whipped topping to use.
Angel Food Cake: Buy a cake at the store that is already made. Or, make a homemade angel food cake.
Assembling the Trifle
To assemble the strawberry shortcake trifle, I used a trifle dish. But, if you don’t have one of those, use a large glass bowl or large glass vase. The point is to see all those yummy layers in the dessert.
- Cover the bottom of the trifle dish or glass bowl with 1/3 of the cubed angel food cake.
- Top cake with 1/3 of the strawberry mixture.
- Top with 1/3 of the cheesecake filling.
- Repeat this layering two more times.
- Refrigerate the dessert until ready to serve.
How to Store Strawberry Trifle
This dessert is best served the same day. It can be stored, loosely covered, in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. But, the cake will get soggy the longer it sits.
More Strawberry Dessert
Strawberry Shortcake Trifle
- 2 pounds fresh strawberries, cut into quarters (approximately 4½ cups)
- ½ cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (80 g) strawberry preserves
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ can (7 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 8 ounces whipped cream
- 1 angel food cake, cut into bite sized cubes
- In a medium bowl, mix together the strawberries, sugar, and preserves. Place in the refrigerator to chill while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl, combine cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk with a hand mixer. Fold in whipped topping.
- To assemble: In a large trifle bowl, add ⅓ of the angel food cake, ⅓ of the strawberry mixture, and ⅓ of the cream cheese mixture. Repeat the layers two more times.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.
Hi there, the recipe looks yum, but I am confused about strawberry preserve. Can you purchase it from store or ..
How do y make it at home?
I am so excited to try your Strawberry Trifle recipe. However, I have a family members, including myself, who are lactose intolerant. Do you have any suggestions for substitutions for the diary ingredients that may be more tummy friendly?
Thanks a Bunch either way!
I cannot be defeated in VA!
I made this for Memorial Day dinner and it was a hit, I ended up using 8 oz of cream cheese and a can of condensed milk per 8 oz of cool whip and it was marvelous. Everyone had seconds. It was easy and totally impressive for a get together!
It looks amazing! I cant wait to try this and make it for my young ones!
So easy and beautiful. Everyone loved this!
I made this. Excellent! Ty for recipe
i made it for a friend Mom’s 88th birthday! it was a hit. they were scraping it from the sides 😊
i’m making this delicious recipe again x 2 + again for tomorrow! simple, easy and super delicious for spring and summer gatherings, potlucks!👍🏼
I don’t normally rate recipes but I LOVE this. I wanted to try to make something different for our family dinner on Easter but I’m not that great at baking. This fit the bill, its incredibly easy and was SUCH a hit! I’m back to make it again for a work function! 🙂