These Chocolate Orange Cupcakes are moist chocolate cupcakes made with orange puree to give a hint of fresh and zesty orange flavor in every bite. For another delicious and citrusy cupcake, be sure to check out my Orange Creamsicle Cupcakes.
Chocolate Orange Cupcakes
These cupcakes are a chocolate and orange lover’s dream! Orange and chocolate as a flavor pairing actually go way back hundreds of years. When chocolate was drunk as a beverage, it was paired with orange flower water for an orange flower water cocktail. Now, the combination is used in many desserts from cheesecake to my Chocolate and Orange Cake.
Chocolate Orange Cupcakes Recipe
You will puree a whole orange for this recipe. I will let you know how to do that first. And don’t worry about frosting; these cupcakes are so moist and delicious on their own, there is no need for any frosting!
Ingredients (full recipe below)
- Chocolate cake mix
- Vegetable oil
How to Puree an Orange
To get an orange puree, there is no peeling necessary (but you may want to make sure any bumps or marks are cut off the orange). Start by cleaning the orange. Next, fill up a saucepan with enough water to cover the orange. Bring the water to a boil. Then, reduce the heat to a simmer and add the orange. Let the orange simmer in the water for about an hour.
After the orange has simmered for about an hour, transfer the orange (peel and all) to a high-powered blender. (I cut my orange into smaller pieces to make it blend easier.) Add 1/2 cup of the orange water to the blender as well. Finally, puree the orange in the blender until smooth. This is surprisingly easy to do!
Set the puree aside until added to the mixture to give the cupcakes that orange taste.
How to Make Chocolate Orange Cupcakes
After you have your orange puree, it’s time to make the cupcakes! First, preheat the oven to 350°F and line a muffin tin with liners. Next, in a large bowl, mix together the chocolate cake mix, eggs, oil, and cup of water (just regular water, not the water you simmered the orange).
Then, add the pureed orange to the mix. Pour the mixture into the lined muffin tin, filling about 3/4 of the way full. Lastly, bake for 20-22 minutes. Serve warm. This recipe made 24 cupcakes.
Can You Freeze the Cupcakes?
Yes! To freeze the cupcakes, let them cool completely after baking them. Then, place them in a freezer-safe airtight container or freezer-safe zipped bag for up to three months. Be sure to label and date the containers. You can thaw them in the microwave when you are craving one, or let them thaw completely at room temperature.
Looking for More Cupcake Recipes?
Chocolate Orange Cupcakes
- 1 large orange
- 1 box (15.25 ounces) chocolate cake mix
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to a rolling boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer and add one large orange to the pan. Simmer for 1 hour. Reserve 1/2 cup of the water to add to the blender.
- Carefully transfer the orange and 1/2 cup of the water to a high-powered blender and puree until smooth. (Be sure blender lid is secure. I like to hold it on with a dishtowel just to be extra safe.)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin tin with liners.
- In a mixing bowl combine the box of chocolate cake mix, eggs, oil, and water.
- Add the pureed orange (which should have cooled slightly by now) to the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the lined muffin tin. Bake for 20-22 minutes. Serve warm.
Did you make this recipe?
Thank you for making my recipe! You took pictures, right? Well go ahead and post them on Instagram! Be sure to mention me @iambaker and use the hashtag #YouAreBaker.
This recipe was inspired by @ggthegardengirl on TikTok.